May 16, 2023
Rest and recovery are crucial for advanced pickleball players who are playing in multiple matches over a weekend. Here's some advice to optimize both physical and nutritional aspects of rest and recovery:
Physical Rest and Recovery:
1. Proper Sleep: Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night to support muscle repair, hormone balance, and overall recovery. Create a sleep routine that includes a cool and dark sleeping environment, limiting exposure to electronic devices before bed, and practicing relaxation techniques like deep breathing or meditation.
2. Active Recovery: Engage in light physical activities on rest days, such as walking, swimming, or gentle stretching. These activities help increase blood flow, promote muscle recovery, and reduce muscle stiffness and soreness.
3. Contrast Water Therapy: Alternate between hot and cold water immersion or use ice packs and warm compresses on sore muscles. This contrast therapy can help reduce inflammation, improve circulation, and alleviate muscle soreness.
4. Foam Rolling and Massage: Incorporate foam rolling and self-massage techniques to release muscle tension, improve flexibility, and enhance recovery. Target major muscle groups used in padel, such as the legs, hips, back, and shoulders.
5. Mobility and Stretching: Perform dynamic stretching exercises and mobility drills to improve joint range of motion, increase flexibility, and prevent muscle imbalances. Focus on areas specific to padel movements, such as hip mobility and shoulder mobility.
Nutrition for Rest and Recovery:
1. Hydration: Maintain proper hydration levels before, during, and after matches. Drink water regularly and consider incorporating electrolyte-rich sports drinks to replenish minerals lost through sweat. Adequate hydration supports optimal muscle function and recovery.
2. Post-Match Nutrition: Consume a post-match meal or snack within 30 minutes to two hours after matches to replenish glycogen stores and kick-start muscle repair. Include a combination of carbohydrates for energy replenishment and protein to support muscle recovery. Good options include lean meats, fish, poultry, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
3. Anti-Inflammatory Foods: Include foods with anti-inflammatory properties in your diet to aid in recovery. This includes fatty fish (salmon, tuna), nuts and seeds (walnuts, chia seeds), colorful fruits and vegetables (berries, leafy greens), and healthy fats (avocado, olive oil). These foods provide essential nutrients and antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation and promote recovery.
4. Protein Intake: Ensure an adequate protein intake throughout the day to support muscle repair and growth. Include lean sources of protein such as poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products, legumes, and plant-based protein sources like tofu and tempeh.
5. Nutrient Timing: Consider consuming a balanced meal or snack containing both carbohydrates and protein within the first hour after matches. This timing helps optimize glycogen replenishment and muscle protein synthesis, promoting better recovery.
6. Supplements: If necessary, consult with a sports nutritionist or healthcare professional to determine if supplements such as omega-3 fatty acids, branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), or tart cherry juice may be beneficial for reducing inflammation and enhancing recovery. However, it's important to note that supplements should never replace a well-rounded diet.
Remember, rest and recovery are individualized, and it's essential to listen to your body's needs. Adjust your rest and recovery strategies based on your performance, energy levels, and any signs of fatigue or overtraining. By prioritizing rest, proper nutrition, and recovery techniques, you can optimize your physical well-being and performance on the pickleball court.
Have you or people in your life gotten addicted to this new sport? We have both apparel and accessories to use both on and off the court.
Play pickleball, train or simply relax. This performance short is a great choice for pretty much everything. The modern fit means just the right amount of room, in just the right places. Lightweight and quick drying materials will make these shorts the go-to option every time.
Equally versatile, the men's crew is a great option for all racket sports including pickleball as well as off the court engagements. Set after set, this abrasion-resistant fabric never stops feeling buttery soft against sweaty skin. This naturally breathable crew moves from workouts to whatever's next.
For women, Cropped Leggings work for padel in addition to tennis and other racket sports. You can wear them all day (and night). Working from home one minute, hitting the court, gym or yoga studio the next.
Playing in cool weather? These leggings are warm without being bulky. Playing in warm weather? The cropped fit keeps you from overheating. The four way stretch fabric is figure flattering, breathable and fluid with every movement.
A unique rear ball pocket holds up to two balls in place and out of the way. When the pocket isn't used it lies flat and is virtually invisible.
Does the pickleball player in your life juggle work, travel and other active pursuits? The Epirus racket bag collections were created with this exact lifestyle in mind. The range covers a wide variety of use cases: the Borderless Backpack has a modern, sleek shape which sets it apart from sportier options on the market and has a gender-neutral feel.
The Transition Tote is an obvious choice for someone that is dedicated to both pickleball and yoga. The padded section of the tote is designed to stow your tablet, laptop, rackets individually or together. The front pocket allows easy access to your water bottle, pickleballs or sunglasses. The inner valuables pocket is secured by a zipper and is the location for your keys, phone, headphones and jewelery.
Looking for more space than a tote or backpack? The Dynamic Duffel has room to store several rackets and all your gear for a weekend while still being more compact than a traditional racket-shaped tennis bag. The bag comes with two shoe bags to ensure that your used gear and dirty shoes are text separate from the rest of the bag contents.
May 16, 2023
May 16, 2023
May 16, 2023
Be the first to hear about new products, sales, give-aways and more...
© 2023 Epirus London.
Powered by Shopify